Angel Investments in Start-ups: Training at RISE Nicosia
On 16 July 2020, Philip Ammerman delivered a short training programme at RISE Nicosia on angel investments in start-ups and shared his experiences from developing his own start-ups and business incubator, and acting as an investment advisor to multiple projects.
20 July 2020
RISE is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies. Based in Nicosia, Cyprus, RISE is supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners: the Municipality of Nicosia, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics (MPI), University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
The training gathered over 45 participants and covered the following topics:
· What motivates an angel investor to invest in start-ups?
· What are the key components that investors are looking for?
· What start-up founders should be prepared for in pitching, contracting and operating?
Considering the overall situation with COVID- 19 and the prevention recommendations, participants had the possibility to join the training both in class and by Zoom.
The training slides are available here:
Philip Ammerman is a company founder, entrepreneur and angel investor. He works with investors, founders and other clients in due diligence, business valuation, financial modelling, business development and investment management.
He has advised “real economy” investments, on over 120 investment transactions with a total investment value exceeding € 6.0 bln. He has extensive experience in the tech sector, advising buy-side investors (VCs, PE firms, family offices, business angels) on due diligence and investment decisions. He also supports founders in areas such as business planning, valuation and fundraising.
In 2010, Philip and his partners launched the Navigator Entrepreneurship Charter, a commitment to support or launch one new company per year between 2010 and 2020. This has led to the foundation of 9 new companies and support to one entrepreneur. The Charter is being renewed in September 2020.
In addition to his own initiatives, Philip supports the Cyprus and international entrepreneurship ecosystem. He is:
· An advisor to Brookstreet Equity Partners, a private-equity fund focusing on innovative companies in Greece and the region;
· A consultant to the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce & Industry on digital transformation and related topics;
· An evaluator for the Cyprus SEEDS Programme;
· An evaluator for the EU Horizon 2020 Programme;
· A co-founder of the European Working Group of Innovation Consultants (EWGIC);
· A non-executive director of Redfin Capital, an asset management firm based in Cyprus.
For further information, please contact: